Craig Wood Golf Course is a beautiful, par 72 course that spans 6,554 yards in the Adirondack countryside. Owned and operated by the Town of North Elba, this is one of the finest courses in the Lake Placid golf community.
It is often said that a course can be judged on the number of memorable holes that it contains. Craig Wood Golf Club features more than its share of challenging holes that will leave a lasting impression on players. Take for example the 18th hole, which forces golfers to strike a precise drive over a ravine and a perfect second iron shot uphill to a sloped green guarded by trees and a fairway trap. It is the perfect finish to this Lake Placid golf course.
The surroundung high peaks and dramatic vistas provide an inspirational lift regardless of the quality of your golf game. The Craig Wood Golf Course is indeed a special course in a beautiful part of the world. It was designed in 1925 by the renowned golf course architect and Lake Placid resident Seymour Dunn. It has served as the local point forLake Placid golf for generations. With a strong dedication to maintaining tradition yet upgrading as needed, Craig Wood Golf Club will continue to attract players from across the world.
The Craig Wood Story
Craig Wood was a Lake Placid native who was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2008. He was the winner of the Masters Tournament in 1941 as well as the US Open and 21 PGA Tour events. He is also well known for being the victim of Gene Sarazen's famous double eagle at the 1935 Masters Tournament which is commemorated at Sarazen's Bridge on the 15th hole of the prestigious Augusta course. He was a member of three US Ryder Cup teams and holds the long drive record on the " Old Course" at St. Andrews of 430 yards.
In 1954, the Town of North Elba honored Craig Wood by changing the name of the Lake Placid Golf and Country Club to the Craig Wood Golf Course. Craig Wood was one of Lake Placid's most illustrious citizens. He is buried in the North Elba Cemetery on Old Military Road overlooking the Lake Placid Horseshow Grounds.